In The Vineyard
Grapes are sourced from vineyards predominantly in the Piekenierskloof region. These are bush vineyards and grow on koffieklip and sandy loam soils. Vineyards are planted in 1987, which makes the vines 29 years old. Vineyard are meticulously farmed and yields were down to 3 tons per hectare because of a very dry year. Harversting took place middle to end of February.
Grapes were handpicked very early in the morning allowing the fruit to retain their natural flavor. Only the free run juice was used, allowed to settle and inoculated with selected yeast strain, fermenting under controlled conditions at 12°C. 62% of the blend consists of unwooded Chenin Blanc – the other 38% was made up from single vineyard Chenin Blanc fermented in 500L French oak barrels.
A wine with fresh citrus aromas with lots of green apple and a herbaceous finish. The wine has a fresh but full and smooth mouth feel with a crisp finish.